just me

just me
Manila in 1972

Monday, September 12, 2011

sept 12

How long before we make sept 11 a national holiday like VE day , Memorial day and such. I think it only fitting giving how it affected this country and it's citizens. I do think that it was over done a little bit. Two days of endless repetition of the towers being hit and consequential collapse. Even though I live in Missouri the attack on that tuesday morning was felt by everyone. On that morning all the tv sets in Wal-mart had CNN on. Groups of employees and customers were gathered around them in shock. Some were crying and some like me were mad as hell. That night I was still watching everything I could find. My 14 year old daughter asked me before she went to bed- Dad will you have to go back in to the navy. I reassured her that they would not let me back in after being out for 25 years. To which she said if you could would you. In a heartbeat I said. And I would have. I was all for making the entire middle east a glowing night light for ever no matter how many Innocent people were killed. That feeling soon passed because that would have made us no better than  them.  The thing that I hate the most about it is all the young men and women that answered the call are coming home as the veterans with the most wounded with the most amputees . multiple amputees at that .  They are lucky that the Viet Nam veterans paved the path for PTSD that was first thought to be shell shock or some other name that belittled the actual problem as something that would just go away ,no big deal, not the cause for so many vets that hid from the world because they could not readjust to society. Right up there with agent orange that the government said was not the reason for the high cancer rates in the veterans. I hope the nation does a better job of taking care of this generation of war veterans. I can guarantee that they will be like me and get choked up when ever and for whom ever that Taps is played. That soulful call will always elicit a response. AMERICA STILL THE LAND OF THE BRAVE AND FREE                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment